Friday, of course, was the culmination of the week's many events, with the parade around the school grounds, the pep rally, the half-time presentation of the Homecoming court, and the dance. Thank goodness, it was only a half day of school because I had to run several errands to pick up last-minute things we'd forgotten before returning to the school. The day was made more hectic by the fact that it started raining around 4 o'clock, meaning we had to move all Homecoming court activities into the cramped gym. That also put us behind schedule getting set up for the dance, as many parents didn't take the hint to leave even after we started turning off all the lights. Once the dance began, however, I was able to settle down somewhat, and I enjoyed observing the following different types of girls who show up at a high school dance:
- The "I'm much too cool for this" Girl - This young lady makes her way onto the dance floor, but she NEVER dances. And if anyone dares to ask her to dance, that person is met with a curled lip and a stare of disdain. The only reason for her being there is for everyone to see her. She is usually the last to arrive and the first to leave. ...Luckily, these are few and far between where I teach.
- The "I'm not from this school" or "This is my first date with this boy" Girl - Bless her heart, she wants so desperately to go wild on the dance floor, but she is so afraid that she will look awkward and that the boy she is with will think poorly of her. She gets onto the dance floor, but the best she can manage is a slight swaying back and forth to the music. She will tell you at the end of the dance, however, that she had a good time.
- The "I'm the boss of my boyfriend" Girl - If her boyfriend didn't get her the right corsage, she walks in the door already angry with him. If he didn't make sure that his tie matches her dress, he's in trouble for that too. If he doesn't take a good picture, that's strike three. Once she drags him onto the dance floor, if he dares to look silly and actually have fun, she stomps over to the bleachers and waits for him to follow her so she can chew him out. She only allows him to make up to her when a slow song comes on.
- The "Nasty" Girl - Thank goodness, there aren't a whole lot of these at my school, either (though they used to be the majority)... This girl doesn't wear underwear, and everyone knows this because she is bent over in front of her date, grinding on him. Once in a while, she turns her butt around so that other boys can be sure to see what she's offering too. (I'm so glad we had more chaperons this year who "nipped this in the bud" rather quickly Friday night.)
- The "I'm here to have fun!" Girl - This is my favorite girl to watch at a dance. It doesn't matter if she arrives solo, with a group of friends, or with a date, she is going to dance, and she will have a great time doing it. In fact, the only time she doesn't dance is when she has to get water or run to the restroom. She does not care if her hair falls or if she gets sweaty. She is all smiles and laughter, and she is exactly the type of person for whom school dances exist. She stays until the dance is over, and she makes sure to thank the chaperons before she leaves.
Oh, and knitting did not happen AT ALL this past week. Boo.
*Post title from a Japanese proverb